At Bright Settings we offer two different options for your table linen edge finish– hemmed and merrowed. Watch this video to see Connie explain the differences between the two edge finishes:
A merrowed edge finish is done on a surging machine, typically with a matching thread. The merrowed finish seals the edges of the fabric to prevent fraying.
A hemmed edge finish is when the seamstress folds over the edges of the fabric and sews the fold down (like the hems on your shirt and pants.)
Things to keep in mind:
- The merrowed edge finish is the standard finish for all of our table linens. If you do not specify that you’d like a different edge finish, your table linens will be finished with a merrowed edge.
- You can request to have a hemmed edge finish on square and rectangular tablecloths, napkins, or placemats. There is a 10% upcharge for a hemmed edge finish on tablecloths and a $4.00 per dozen upcharge for hemmed edge finish on napkins. To order placemats with an inverted hem, select a placemat option that notes “Inverted Hem” under the “Size” column in the “Pricing” section. The inverted hem option for placemats is not available in all fabrics.
- A hemmed edge finish provides a little bit more of a formal look than the merrowed edge finish.
- You can request that the merrowed edge finish for your table linens is done in a contrasting thread color, instead of using thread that matches the fabric, for no additional fee. Make sure you tell your sales representative that you’d like contrasting thread and specify what color before placing your order, or, if you’re ordering online, include the thread color you’d like in the “Special Instructions” at checkout.
- Hemmed edge finish is not available for round and oval tablecloths or sheer and fancy fabrics. We’ve found that hemmed edging on these shapes and fabrics doesn’t look as clean as a merrowed edge finish.
Our sales team has seen the different edging finishes on all table linen sizes, shapes, and fabrics, so if you have any questions about which edge finish will work best for you, you can call (1-800-327-6025), e-mail or online chat with one of our sales representatives.